Rights and Obligations of Members
Members are required to observe and be bound by the Charter and Byelaws of The Chartered Governance Institute ("CGI") and Articles of Association of the Institute at all times.
Upon successful election, each member, as long as he continues to fulfil the membership criteria, shall be entitled to:
- call himself as ‘Chartered Secretary’ and/or 'Chartered Governance Professional', as appropriate;
- receive membership certificates and hold the said certificate until he ceases to be a member;
- receive the monthly journal ‘CSj’ in either printed or electronic format.
Rights and privileges of a member shall be personal to himself, they shall not be transferable by his own act or by operation of law, and shall cease upon his death, or upon his ceasing of membership.
For as long as a person is a member, he/she shall:
- strictly observe the standard of professional conduct and practice required by the Council;
- must provide his home and business addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, employment positions and must promptly advise the Institute of any changes to these details;
- comply with the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Policy;
- pay, as and when due, all contributions, fees, or subscriptions for which he may at any time be liable in accordance with CGI's Charter and Byelaws and the Institute's Articles of Association, or any rules made in pursuance thereof;
- not describe himself as a member of the Institute, nor “Chartered Secretary’, or 'Chartered Governance Professional' when his membership is lapsed.